Mint Choc Macarons 🙂
These are easy to do for the beginner baker, and make great snack for a party or just as a treat 🙂
Ingredients – This makes about 30
- 175g Icing Sugar
- 125g Ground Almonds
- 3 Large Egg whites
- A pinch of Salt
- 75g Caster Sugar
- Peppermint Extract
- Green food colouring (optional)
For the Filling
- 150g unsalted butter – softened
- 75g Icing Sugar
- 75g Chocolate spread
1. Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees (reduce slightly if using a fan oven) and line some baking trays with non stick baking paper. (I used 3 trays, and did 2 rounds of baking).
2. Put the Icing sugar and ground almonds in a food processor and blitz until fine, then sift into a bowl.
3. Whisk the Egg whites and salt (use an electric whisk if possible, it’ll save your arms!) until they are soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until it looks thick and glossy.
4. Add the mint extract (about 3 cap-fulls, depending on how minty you want them) and food colouring if you are using that, then whisk in. Fold in half the almond and icing sugar, then add the second half and fold until it is shiny and has a ribbon like consistency.
5. Spoon it in to a piping bag, i like to put the bag in a pint glass to make this easier and less messy.
6. Pipe 2cm sized rounds on to the baking trays, and give the tray a sharp tap on the counter to release any air bubbles. Now let them rest for around 15 minutes, they should form a kind of skin, so you should be able to lightly touch them without getting any on you finger.
8. To make the filling, beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the icing sugar and chocolate spread and mix thoroughly.
9. Once the macarons are cooled, sandwich them together with the chocolate filling. Then make a cuppa, sit back and enjoy!! (And get someone else to do the washing up for you!)
I hope you enjoyed making these as much as i did! Don’t forget to send me your pictures on firstname.lastname@example.org!